How do Himalayan Salt Lamps Work?
Water vapour is always circulating in the air of any room of your home. This water vapour carries along with it allergens like dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke particles, and even bacteria and viruses.
Salt is hygroscopic meaning it attracts water molecules from the surrounding air. A large block of rock salt, like a Himalayan crystal salt lamp, is especially attractive to water vapour and its attached pollutants. Once attracted to the lamp, these microscopic compounds remain on the salt and not floating in the air where you could previously breathe them in. As Himalayan salt lamps slowly become saturated with water vapour they attract from the air around them, the heat from the lamp inside dries them, thus continuing the hygroscopic effect for as long as the light is on.This heat also re-releases water vapour back into the air. Importantly, any airborne contaminants attracted to the salt lamp remain trapped there and will not become airborne again.
Occasionally, perhaps every few weeks, it’s good to turn off your salt lamp for an hour, let it cool and then gently rub it with a damp cloth to clean away trapped dust and particles. The rest of the time just leave it on and let it work to clean the air in your home.
Where to Place Crystal Salt Lamps for the Most Health Benefits
The best place for a Himalayan pink salt lamps is quite close to where you spend a lot of time so you can breathe in the fresher air it generates directly. The hygroscopic air cleaning effect is not dependant on negative ions and is the basic science of water vapour attraction and evaporation.
By a coffee table next to the seat where you watch TV is a great place, as is your work desk at home, or even at the office if you feel like you can have a salt rock lamp there. Not only will it help clean the air and expose you to at least some negative ions, it may also help counteract electromagnetic radiation and provides a gentle, soothing pink glow.
Commonly reported health benefits of Himalayan salt lamps include:
- Improving breathing problems and reducing allergies.
- Less colds and flu (due to less airborne viruses).
- Increased relaxation and calmness and less stress.
- Improved ability to concentrate and work for longer periods around electrical equipment like computers.
- Fewer headaches and migraines.
- Reduced symptoms from disorders like rheumatism and arthritis.
- An improvement in skin diseases.
- Easier to get to sleep at night.
- A better overall sense of health and wellbeing.